Thread: AH Blues
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Leon, while I believe Rob is coming across as complaining about paying the buyer's premiums, I think the real root of his question is why do auction houses charge a buyers premium and no sellers fee instead of charging a seller's fee and no buyer's premium. Responses such as "It doesn't matter" or it is just "semantics" address how to think about the buyer's premium from the buyer's prospective, those responses don't really give a reason or explanation for why every auction house charges a buyers premium.

Personally, I think the why is answered in the marketing strategy of the auction house to the consignor and trying to make the AH look as attractive as possible from a consignor's prospective. Charging a seller's fee when other auction houses don't I think would make getting consignments even more difficult, but I could easily be wrong. Leon, not to single you out, but you and Scott had one of the lowest BP and zero seller's fees, did you guys ever discuss lowering the BP even lower and charging a seller's fee instead? What was the driving forces in determining how you collected your commission?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers