View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Tyler, you have a very nice display. Nice variety, which is enchanting. We share the same affinity for Lefty Grove, Hack Wilson, and one Adrian Considine Joss.

I well remember being just so mad at the BBHOF for not enshrining Addie. Back in the mid-70s while I was away at college, I started to do a research project and copy down all his box scores. I remember Addie winning four in a row---all against future BBHOFers! I never finished the project, but after the Veterans Committee finally got some sense of the greatness of Mr. Joss, they selected him.

Honestly, it will be hard to stick to 25 subjects. Still, keeping it pre-WWII and the sheer cost of the "me too-s" does indeed put a lasso on your spending.

Personally, I have always favored the All-State Display Cases. After I noticed that the prime dealers displayed their prime cards in them, I just got to thinking how nice my collection would look in one of the them. So, back in '89, I bought one.

My collection is too big for one case, so some years back I got a nice big black five-drawer blueprint case. Eventually, I drilled the large flap out of each drawer that prevents the prints from curling. Purchasing some Crescent matte board, yards of good quality cotton batting, I started making pads for each drawer. Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart had the black, midnight blue, and dark purple crushed velvet I needed for the pad covers. Finally, I bought Elmer's spray glue and waited for a good spring day without rain nor too much humidity.

The result gave me a nice big black display case with the equivalent of 5 All-State glass cases. Plus, and this is a very important and crucial plus in our world, the drawers allow me to view the cards, coins, etc. at my leisure. Afterwards, drawers are shut---from all potentially damaging ultra violet ray sunlight.

Take care, Tyler, thanks for sharing. Keep enjoying that beautiful array of fascinating baseball cards!

----Brian Powell

Pic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.