View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default 1918 red border Zee-Nut cards????

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Part of the reason for the difficulty in the 1918 cards is explained by the shortened 1918 PCL season, which abruptly ended on July 14 due to wartime travel restrictions...No baseball, fewer collectors...........remember 1994.... As far as catalog values are concerned I have provided input to both Bob Lemke & Rich Klein regarding generalized values on Zeenut cards since the inception of the Standard Catalog and Almanac ....As Brian Parker correctly states, when it comes to two advanced Zeenut collectors needing a key card for their collections, a price guide is absolutely useless in their arsenal.. This is collecting, not investing. I've found myself in a few bid wars where a common , non-Jewish, non-Native-American, non-Black, non- Federal League, non-major league player, barely recognizable as poor condition has gone for a few thousand dollars. A similar example transacting a short time later might only bring $25. Thats why you don't base a price guide value on a single transaction.... As a type collector Frank, you shouldn't have any problem getting a sample card from 1918. Putting together a set from that year may prove to be more challenging........ The candy "Zee-Nut" was no longer profitable for Collins Hencke and was discontinued in 1930. As Brian pointed out, post 1930 issues state "Coast League" and were distributed primarily with five cent products "Ruf-Nek" and "Home Run Kisses" . Later on , ten cent product "Kofe-Kuv" carried the cards as well.... Wouldn't worry about the spelling too much...Many board contributors refer to the "National Sports Collector's Show" as the "Nationals" when there is only one.....