View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Brian T.

Of course... neither one is the rookie card. I suppose you could make the case for the Ruth pre-rookie to be considered a rookie (erroneously) due to it being the first issued card, but that one is at least a discussion. Then again, it is obviously a new guys foray into posting, he deserves some slack.

To the intent of the question, the T206 certainly has a mystique about it that transends pre-war vintage card guys. It is one of the few (or maybe the only) cards that shows up in newspapers and on the evening news. The Gretsky Wagner is so reknowned that it is a status symbol and it would seem that the owners don't care whether it is trimmed or not. (As an aside, there isn't much debate as to whether it is sheet cut or not). Again, the mystique of owning the T206 Wagner is unmistakeable. The Baltimore Ruth minor league pre-rookie is a fantastic card, but doesn't carry the same weight. Personally, I would rather have a nice 1915 M101-4 or M101-5 Ruth rookie than the Baltimore Ruth. It would certainly be cheaper. To answer your question though, I don't forsee any card consistently outdoing the T206 Wagner from a cost standpoint if all else is equal (including grading) - simply due to the intangibles. Truth be told, the T206 Wagner is not that hard to find as long as you have the money. I think PSA has graded 27. SGC has graded 9. Beckett has graded at least 1. I have been led to believe that the total number (including raw) is up near 60.

As far as the Baltimore News Ruth, it is much more scarce. SGC has graded 4. I'm sure somebody could look up the PSA pop report on it, but it has been reported that there are around 10 in existence. I remember hearing that one was lost in a move though... not sure if that would take it from 11 to 10 or 10 to 9, but 10 is a fair ballpark number.

Last edited by terjung; 07-24-2009 at 01:31 PM.