View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Haven't seen Whitey Ford mentioned in the thread yet.

Found out Whitey Ford was signing at the Long Island national last year, and decided to go. My grandfather was a childhood friend of Whitey, and I had always wanted to meet him.

Anyhow, he signed my item, and chatted with me for a good five minutes about his childhood. After walking around the show with my 2 year old son and wife, I mentioned to one of the dealers that I wished I asked Whitey for a photo to show my grandfather. They were kind enough to walk me back over with my son, and Whitey was more than happy to pose for a photo with my son and I. After he was done signing, Whitey ran into my son and I as he was heading out, and stopped for a few minutes to play with my son. My son got a few laughs, and Whitey shook my hand and patted my son on the head before he went on his way.

I met Juan Marichal at the White Plains show... his line was virtually empty (where as Lenny Dykstra's extended forever). My father-in-law grew up in the Dominican Republic, and idolized Marichal. Marichal had a nice conversation with us, and posed for a photo with my son and my father-in-law.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards