View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
it isn't made up, it is based on things that are actually to the credit of the individual player. runs and rbi's are determined by the quality of the surrounding players and thus have no bearing on individual production.

I only replied to an insult ,sir. You flat earthers can't yell at us and say 'stupid stats, yer stupid...blah blah blah" and expect to not be belittled in return. If you don't understand something maybe instead of hand waving it away like a child you could go and read about it . (btw I love how ALL THE OTHER EFFING DATA, I posted was ignored and instead I get the tired old anti-WAR argument. )
That is absolutely false. RBI are determined by how well you perform in scoring opportunities. If you are Barry Bonds in the postseason, then you only drive in 3 runs in 20 games, despite having plenty of opportunities, it is because you hit .191. Let's just ignore what actually happens and create a theoretical system to apply to everyone. You can't do that, baseball isn't even played on a uniform field and these metrics pretty much ignore that.

These are fantasy stats, because they choose to completely ignore or seriously undervalue important parts of the game. It's funny that you use the term flat earth because that is exactly what I think people using WAR, OPS+, etc. are. It is like we are in the Dark Ages and the Catholic Church is telling us what to believe, ignoring the science of previous generations like the Greeks. Maybe one day people who understand baseball and mathematics will fix this and give credibility to WAR.