View Single Post
Old 07-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default vg/ex S.F,. Hess Ewing

Posted By: Julie Vognar

If I liked, he would delete that stuff about Asian eyes, and I said BY ALL MEANS, until the day when we are all the same color, shape, size and configuration, I sghould keep my trap shut.

He also asked that I post my S.F. Hess. which I can't, but will describe:

photo is in perefct register, and very nice contrast, and is especially nice because he seems to be laughing a little--how do you do that if you have to keep yuour face perfectly still? card has no creases.
Problems which apply to almost all S.F. Hesses: The "New York" on his shirt front is missing the "N" and most of the "K" (Lew lipset has a large photo, just like it, in his "Police Gazette' section, with the same missing letters--except his Ewing is full of spickle=speckles). The dark brown arc over his head is cenetred to the left; in fact, there is no visable "frame" on the left border. But somehow, Ewing is right in the center of both the arc and card. (Don't ask me how they did it.) Appaerently, the photo in the arc, in a squarish rectangle, was laid down on top of the long S.F. Hess card, because "Buck Ewing" appears in faint letters inside the squarish rectangle, and then again in brown letters below the squarish rectangle (just like the "Johnny Ward" card which Lemke used for his 2002 guide (which is perfect, and cost owner 21K)

There are three tiny ink spots, originally black, but conveniently faded to brown-black. The biggest, by the left of his neck, in the arc, is about 1/16 inch; two over his head, in the arc, are even smaller. The corners are well-rounded. I think when I began collecting, we still called corners like that "ex," but I know now they are "vg=ex."

Bob is tertribly disapointed ("it's not even in color"); when I asked mark Macrae, "suppose i wanted to consign the card to Mastro, wouldn't he say it wasn't up to snuff?" Mark said, that's something you never have to worry about with an S.F. Hess Ewing--unless it's a rag, which you card isn't by any means.

Oh yes, it cost 7.5K; I said yedsterday I felt funny buying a vg-ex card for the vaule of the entire rest of my 19th century collection. Decided to add. A couple I couldn't remember, but with those i could it's actually a little less than 1/6th of what I paid for my 19th century stuff.
Whoops! forgot my chess cards. More like 1/7th.

I guess I have to keep saying: this card was paid for with a credit card United Airlines sent me (Lord knows why). I still haven't gotten my big bucks.(People are suddenly offering me lots of things which I can't afford).