View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default Consistent grading

Posted By: David Poses

I recently received some cards from SGC, which were the first cards I ever sent out for grading.

I'm a "raw" kind of guy, but I recognize that its helpful to have stuff graded when one is looking to sell or trade. I sent in 3 cards, each of which were cracked from one of the 3 big grading companies. None came back with as good a grade as they initially received. A PSA 5 went to SGC 30. GAI 3.5 went to SGC 20. PSA 4 went to SGC 20.

It occurs to me that, while its fine and good that the grading companies have grading guidelines, if they had a scan of every card they graded, in its slab, they could reference the scans when grading so as to ensure consistency.

Obviously it is impossible to be 100% consistent, but this could make a big dent.

I'm sure this idea has been talked about already, but figured maybe somebody from a grading company could provide some insight as to why this practice isn't in place, or if it is, how things are so inconsistent.

I am not bashing grading or any of the companies, and realize that I am opening a large can of worms, but I find myself having no choice but to embrace this- I am a realist. If grading must be part of the hobby, it seems to me that better policing of standards and consistency could be practiced.