View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: Bob

I have been a steadfast "non-soaker" but decided (with a great deal of trepidation) to see what would happen to a 1911 Zeenut with black scrapbook paper attached to the back which I recently won on ebay. No one seemed to have any ideas how Zeenuts might fare, it seems all the soaking going on is mostly with T205s and T206s, but I decided to give it a shot. I know a lot depends on the type of glue used, but using an eye dropper, saucer of water and a blunt tweezers, I was able to completely remove the paper. I put the water on the paper and its edges and not on the rest of the card and then immediately dried it with paper towels inside a phone book with lots of heavy books on it to keep it falt. That's the good news. The back looks fine, the front has a small "halo" effect where the water was. It looks very minor but enough to make me swear off this method in the future.
What is interesting is that I have seen, in the past, Zeenuts on ebay with the "halo", ungraded and also slabbed and was always curious. Now I know...