View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Seller described this bat as mid 1800s but also stated it's about 120 years old Anyways at over $500 is that about average price for such a bat today? My guess is the bat was closer to 1860-70s. Is that accurate? I was sure my snipe close to $400 was gonna get her First snipe I've ever placed FWIW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
Michael,

I know it's been almost half a year since that auction, but I was the winner! Here is the funny thing, your snipe bid should have taken it home EASILY! I had the high bid, and as I was riding down the interstate in the car, I was watching closely, as I really wanted the bat. I told myself I wouldn't go any higher than $250.

Well, as the auction went under a minute, 20 seconds actually, the bid was rapidly approaching $250. I talked myself into a bid of $280. Here is the funny thing (not so funny at the time), I was using ebay mobile on my phone so it took a few more seconds to bring up the bid window, so I was typing really fast and knew I only had a few seconds to get the little higher bid in. Anyway, in all my haste, I didn't look closely before I hit confirm bid.

And then, BOOM! I see the winning bid was 510.00, and at first I said, wow that went high, only to then realize I had won.

When I had placed the bid, I was in such a hurry, and didn't pay attention to where I placed the decimal point, so I accidentally put in a bid of $2800!!! OOPS!

At first I was really pissed at myself, but when I got the bat, I was super excited. I'm not a bat expert and don't really have any idea of the actual age of the bat. I'm just starting to amass a collection of baseball memorabilia. Bats are my first priority as they just interest me so much. I wanted to start my collection with a bat from the early early years, so a hand made bat made sense to me.

So is it worth $500? Who knows, but now I have a fun story and a great beginning piece to my collection.