View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
First off, congrats to the NL. Now, here’s my rant. Douche bags like Brian Wilson and Prince Fielder are what’s wrong with baseball today. If Wilson wants to look like an Al Qaeda terrorist, he should be treated like one. If Fielder wants to cover his body in tattoos, put him in prison like the thug he is.

Please don’t give me this crap about them just expressing themselves or marching to the beat of their own drum. That’s BS! They have absolutely no respect for the game or the history of the game. You would have never seen Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, etc with a mohawk and/or scraggly beard and tattoos all over their body.

And what’s up with Wilson flashing gang signs after his save? I’ve got a hand sign for Wilson and I only have to use one finger. If you’re a Giants of Brewers fan, you should be ashamed of these two idiots. They should be removed them from the gene pool.
Loved your post, David--you sound like me when I'm at my most cantankerous best! Times have just changed quite a bit from when we grew up, I guess. The game started to become much more about "me, me, me" to the players with the advent of free agency, and the fans, without whom there is no commercial enterprise or professional sports at all, were in large part left behind, with little to nothing to say as to how players were to conduct themselves on the field. Personally I don't mind their demonstrations of individuality as much as I used to. I'd love to have Jose Reyes or Andrew McCutcheon for our Detroit Tigers, simply because these guys can really play. My wife almost fainted when I told her I really liked their dread locks!

I do agree with Brian that if I'm pitching and some hip, homerun hitting dude styled his way around the bases after hitting one off me, he'd better enjoy it just that one time, and be real loose the next time he came to bat. He'd also better expect to hit the dirt, because he would definitely be going down! The hitter has every right to conduct his own celebration, and the pitcher the right and means to insist on being treated in a respectful manner. Oftentimes who wins these confrontations comes down to matchups. I never saw Bob Gibson, tough as he was, throw at Willie Horton, though the latter would dig quite a foothold in the batters box during the '68 World Series. Horton had fought in the golden glooves when he was just 15, and earlier in his career Earl Wilson(all 6'3'' and 220+ lbs of him), then with the Red Sox threw at him in an attempt to move him off the plate. Horton walked halfway out to the mound and told Wilson, "Man, you can be moved just like a mountain," meaning broken up into little pieces and carried off. Horton had no further trouble with Wilson after that.

All the best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.