View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default Your most expensive accident

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Back in the day (God, I sound like I'm 100 years old) when screw-down holders were a new-fangled thing (around the late '70s or early '80s), they were akin to trying to put two pieces of glass together and expecting a tight fit. You had to make sure the holes were aligned the same way as when you removed the two pieces, and you ususally had to use the same screws in the sames holes they previously were in, or else you had little chance of getting the thing back together and having it look decent, let along while securing your card.

One day after school I was trying to negotiate this work of the devil while an ex-mt 1915 CJ of Vin Campbell was between the sheets, so to speak. As I went to insert the first screw, Campbell made his break to an edge of the holder. With impeccable timing rarely seen on even the best executed hit-and-run, the screw put the neatest little hole in the upper-right corner of the fiery red background, just as Campbell was completing his ill-fated slide. (Now I feel like I'm writing an auction catalog.)