View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default Grading blank backed cards

Posted By: leon

I am just home from the wonderful, annual MoreDirect (where I work) National Sales Meeting so I figure since I am back at home I will throw a question out to the crowd concerning blank backed cards. This is a retort to seeing Martin Neal's really nice Ruth Exhibit card on the New Pickup thread. The question was "do grading companies take off for back damage on blank backed cards?" I know SGC is pretty hard on them. I think that card would be a 10-20, with a very outside chance at a 30. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a 10-20 holder but would be if it were in a 30. My thought on the grading of blank backs is that it's somewhat of a conundrum. They really need to be consistent and grade them the way they do but it doesn't seem fair on the other hand? I have some beautiful low grade cards that have a back issue and have been killed. Here might be the best 10 in existence with chipping to the blank back and paper loss to a part of one letter. It's a shame,
however in SGC's defense, they have said they would re-evaluate it....but with no promises until it's in hand of course. If this card was sold I doubt the number on the holder would keep the price down so I will probably just let it ride. I don't generally collect by the number but do like to know my cards haven't been tampered with according to a 3rd party expert, as SGC is...regards

ps...get your guesses in on the new contest as I will say what the answer is and the winner will be picked at about 7pm CST this evening....