View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 12:10 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCPA View Post
Welp. I didn't get any immediate responses so I continued my looking around and came across this blog post.

In it, the author states: "...the 1989-1991 Upper Deck cards were often erased by unethical dealers looking to cash in the error craze. I can personally recall being warned specifically about the erased McDonald card back in 1990-91. With little effort, these cards can be erased to show a blank white area on just about any section of the cards, this makes it extremely important to be able to hold a copy and tilt it under a good light source to see if the gloss has been dulled, before purchasing."

So, I took a closer look at my card and, lo and behold, it's been erased. This was more than 25 years ago, but I absolutely do not remember buying this card (or any) at a card shop. I was strictly a kid you bought packs at the corner store.

Sorta disappointing, but such is life. Happy collecting!
I recently (last few months) bought an 1982 card with no name from someone that has a lot of legit error cards. It seemed strange since that was the only black ink missing, but they had given me plenty of deals so I took a chance so I could see it in person. After getting it in hand I could tell it had been "erased" in the bottom area. You could see the difference in color under a black light.

This person didn't seem to have another so I let it go, but then they listed another for sale a month later and they saw what I pointed out and removed the listing and threw it away. That was my first run in with this type of alteration, especially on a "no name" player.