View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM

Default A look at early vintage Cincinnati Reds no-hitter tickets and signatures

Here is a look at some early-mid 20th century Reds no-hitter tickets and vintage signatures. They include:
1) Two great examples of Frank "Noodles" Hahn's autograph. FYI- "Noodles" Hahn threw the first no-hitter of the 20th century in 1900. I've included a picture of an original circa 1903 Cincinnati Reds pay stub receipt with his sig as well as a beautiful GPC from the famed Charles Keith collection in 1947.

2) A photo study of items related to, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest games ever pitched. On May, 2 1917 Fred Toney of the Cincinnati Reds squared off with the Chicago Cubs great left handed hurler James "Hippo" Vaughn in Chicago. For those of you that are not familiar with this game, BOTH pitchers threw 9 innings of no-hit ball for the 1st and only time. Hippo Vaugn ended up with the short end of the stick, eventually giving up a hit in the 10th inning. What a tough game to lose, but that's baseball... I am showing you a complete season ticket book to the Cubs 1917 season. The full, unused ticket to game number 8 at the top of the second photo. I've included a very rare fountain pen dated fountain pen 3 x 5 signature from 1935 as well as a picture postcard of Fred Toney and his competitive sneer. He looked like one tough hombre to me!

3) A circa 1946 fountain pen signed very rare GPC and picture postcard of "Hod" Eller also from the Charles Keith collection. Eller threw a no-hitter for the Reds in 1919 against the STL. Cards. Also of note: Eller was a member of the 1919Cinci Reds team that bested the infamous Black Sox in the "fixed" World Series.

4) Photos of a very rare lower box figural ticket from Johnny Vander Meer's second consecutive no-hitter that he threw on June 15, 1938 (also the 1st night game at Brooklyn). I also have included a circa 1938 fountain pen signature of Vandy. Note: After 70 years later this record still remains upbroken. Fellow Reds great Pete Rose once stated that this was perhaps the most unassailable record in baseball. His candid observation was that in order to break this record you would have to throw THREE consecutive no-hitters, which will never happen!

I've got more, but I don't want to get greedy with my time here. If you would like to see others from 1940 forward, please let me know and I will add items related to these no-hitter games.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-08-2023 at 06:18 AM.