View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 07:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As an academic question, pondering where T206 prices will go is a fun topic, but it seems to me that if you are genuinely concerned with whether values will keep going up, you are investing rather than collecting and you need to set a price point where you will be satisfied, take a profit, and move on to the next investment. You can't whistle through the graveyard as an investor.

For all my pontificating about deals and the finances of the hobby, I am still on the collector spectrum. I bought a lot of great cards a long time ago not because I thought they were good investments but because I enjoyed them. It was my golf club membership, my season seats. The fact that they are turning out to have been a spectacular investment is a bonus. I was happy owning them when they were worth $100 a card rather than $10,000 a card. If I get to the point where worrying about what my cards are worth exceeds the enjoyment I derive from them, I am gone, immediately. Thus far, it has not. One of the few positives in not having bought the marquee cards in the hobby when I could have done so is that I am not faced with a dilemma right now of cashing in for a life-altering sum or continuing to collect. Selling my collection of bric-a-brac would be nice but would not alter my life, so I don't feel that pressure.

That said, I've noticed that my pace of sports card acquisitions has really fallen off recently. It just doesn't feel like light fun. I've actually spent way more time looking at non-sports items like postcards. They are beautiful and so cheap that there is no pressure.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-27-2023 at 07:50 PM.