View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Jeff, it wasn't a 1968 Yaz card in a PSA 5 holder, but I'll play along with you. Even if it were, why would one grade a 1968 Yaz in Ex condition? I don't have the answer, but it happens all the time. You say grading adds value, so where is the added value in this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Topps-...kAAOSwpvRcgYu9

Couldn't I buy the same card raw in the same condition for about the same price? I know you just used a random card as an example, but I see this quite often on eBay where someone had a card graded that really didn't add any value at all and, in some cases, it actually decreases the value by having it graded.

Of course I'm a fan of more money. But my point is that it's only perceived value to the collector. If one is buying raw cards to have graded and re-selling them for several times what they paid, then great for them. I really think that's awesome! My comments are really for the collectors (or investors) putting a lot of faith in perceived value.
Sometimes people slab cards worth less than the slabbing process just to protect the card or provide uniformity in their collection.

And slabbed cards are a legit market unto itself at this point. My Plow's Cobb above could not be purchased for the same price if it was raw. No chance. Can it go up in value? Sure. Can it go down? Sure. But all things being equal, the card will always be worth more in that PSA slab than out of it. There's no debate here on that issue.