View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Letters about debuts or other good content.

Let's see some cool letters and notes about big league debuts. This one is one of my favorites.

New York Giants reliever Ace Adams had a fascinating career. Originally signed – and released – by the Brooklyn Dodgers, Adams made significant gains in the Giants organization.
By his fifth pro season in 1940, Adams led the Southern Association in strikeouts and helped push his Nashville team to the pennant. After winning two games in the Dixie Series against Texas League champion Houston, Adams took the train home for the off-season.
Adams success caught the eye of the Giants executives in New York who unbeknownst to the pitcher, bought his contract. When the pitcher arrived at the train station his wife Ellie greeted him with the good news, waving the newspaper with the headline, “Adams Sold to Giants”.
In this letter, Adams writes, “You asked me for a a few lines about a memorable moment in my baseball career.
“One that stands out to me is the day in April 1941. The Giants were playing Brooklyn on Opening Day.
“Many exciting instances happened in this game. I pitched the last four innings in this game and got credit for winning it.
“This should not be too exciting or interesting, except for one thing. It was against Brooklyn on Opening Day and it was the first Major League Game I had ever seen. ‘Believe it or not.’ ”
Adams flourished in a role similar to that of today’s leading firemen. He led the league in games finished in four consecutive seasons, games finished in three straight and in saves in back-to-back years. In 1942 he posted a 1.84 ERA and tied the modern NL record for appearances held by fellow New Giants hurler Christy Mathewson. The following season Adams set a new Major League mark for appearances in a season with 70.
Interestingly, Adams given first name is actually Ace. When he died in 2006 he was survived by many including his son, grandson, great-grandson, and great-great-grandson, all likewise named Ace.
This letter and more interesting autographed pieces can be found on CooperstownExpert.com. Once you're there, you can search for any of the Hall of Famers. There are nearly 600 baseball people on the site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ace-Adams-NY-Giants-798x1024.jpg (9.2 KB, 54 views)