View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikobaseball View Post
Thank you all for the thoughts. I think you're definitely right in that I shouldn't pigeonhole myself into just one grade, as that will force me to pass up on nice opportunities. Maybe one option is to just go for nice low-mid grade PSA copies (say 2-5 depending on the price, player, card etc.) and just go for copies that have a nice visual appeal to me.

Raw is appealing just because I can get a nice starter lot of 100+ pretty easily, and I feel that's much harder to do with PSA. I just hate the idea of having some raw in binders, and some graded sitting somewhere in a box. I'd like to be able to at least store them all together, if not display them together. I kind of like the option of buying raw + subbing them myself, but I have a feeling thats more costly long run and may not be worth it.

As far as PSA vs SGC, I've only had PSA cards before and don't really like the look of SGC from what I can tell, though I've never held one myself. I do know that I wouldn't want a set that's a mix of both, so I'd probably rather just go all PSA if I'm doing all graded. Seems like the set registry group is a bit stronger there too.

Keep the feedback coming, thanks everyone.
Once you get a feel for the cards and if you have a good eye for details, sending a few in for grading can be less costly.
I've had a few bought within the last four years come back between 60 and 82, with a couple being the highest for that front/back combination. I didn't pay much above 40 or 50 for any of them.
My most recent card was listed as trimmed but really didn't look like it. Took a chance at a touch above the trimmed price and got a nice factory cut card that's probably just under the min size for TPG vertically but is wide enough. Nice looking card, just not one that will get a grade.

There are a lot of display options even for a mixed graded/ungraded set.

Enjoy the trip whether it's a long or short one

Here's a couple teasers for inspiration.

Steve B