View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 AM
Steve Kennedy

Default More on Laurel Cards

Hi Guys , Phil Scott and Tom Thanks to Phil I was able to get this News Letter. I decided to pick at some of the articles and this is an update. After looking at up coming events I took a look at the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers Schedules looks like Wednesdays and Saturdays fit the schedules for the Academy of Sport.

The Academy of Sport offered the public an interesting venue to see awards and trophy's from teams and athletes from the world of sports. The Academy also offered classes in Baseball & Football with professional players and managers as instructors. Each preregistered student would received a Laurel Card for their precipitation. The Laurel Cards were signed by 76 baseball instructors, 11 Managers 65 Players, from 1939 to1940.
According to Christy Walsh "the Laurel Card bears the name of a student and the name of the instructor of the day, thus providing a souvenir more valuable and personal than the ordinary autograph."
The schedule for the baseball clinics for 1939 were held on Wednesdays' and Saturdays' to coincide with the radio broadcasts NBC on Saturday with Bill Stern and Mutual Broadcasting on Wednesday with Stan Lomax covering the special activities. www.1939baseball.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60c- Roll Call Schedule.jpg (77.7 KB, 151 views)