View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default Time to fight back and stop being ripped off

Posted By: leon

First of all Adam, I don't keep my cards in a safe when at the Nationals. Last year they were on my back in my 5 year old's napsack. I think I was pretty cool (in a dorky way) having them in a preschoolers bag. Me, a 40 year old, balding guy, cruising around with some relatively expensive cards on his back.....showing them to whomever would look Back to the subject. I will agree with the other folks that I would probably not get to the point of threatening before I asked politely first. Nothing good can come out of it. It seems that almost everyday I am about to blast someone and then I rethink it and don't do it. So far 100% of the time I am glad I did not do it...after looking back on it. Same story happened to me with a Verkman card. I got a detailed description, over the phone, of the card from one of his workers. Satisfied with the card I said I would take it. I got the card and almost fell out of my chair when I saw it. I looked at the bottom of it and got seasick it was so trimmed. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY ANY INTELLIGENT HOBBYIST COULD HAVE THOUGHT OTHERWISE. NO WAY !! It was that bad. I called them and they said "hang on a second"....they pulled the rest of the cards from that lot (I believe bought a few Lipset auctions ago and advertised as trimmed) and said they were ALL trimmed. But the point here is that I asked politely and got my money back with no hassle. Now everytime I get one of their catalogues I look through it and immediatley throw it away......good luck on this one Adam.....I am not totally disagreeing with what you did but might have tried the softer hand first.......bestest friggin ( @tbob) regards (@leon)