View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default Anybody think about their own mortality?

I lost my dad in 2011. He had just turned 65 and had retired six months earlier and then one morning had a heart attack and was gone. He was a coin collector. My mom was in poor health, so I had to take care of everything, including his coin collection. I don't know crap about coins, so here we are more than six years later, and Dad's coin collection sits in my garage. It might be worth a few thousand dollars, or a few hundred, or maybe just the face value of the coins. I have no idea.

I am now 13 years away from reaching the date when my dad passed. I got to thinking recently, what will happen to all my cards and stuff when I'm gone? My wife wouldn't know Mickey Mantle from Willie Mays from Ty Cobb. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't smarter to downsize in the event of me not being around to actually sell it all one day. I don't want my stuff sitting in someone's garage. I want them to sell it, make money, and have fun with it. 99% of my collection is raw, but I'm even wondering if I should get everything of value graded to make it easier to liquidate when the time comes (and hopefully, that time comes in about 50 years).

Do you guys have a plan? Do you have a checklist with instructions for your spouse or children on how to sell things, just in case?