View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay to eliminate winning bidder IDs

Posted By: Bob C

I have mixed feelings about this. My overall reaction is negative for obvious reasons, mostly listed above. That said, I recently won an Ebay auction and in addition to the winning bidder notification I received the following email:

I'm the seller of the item that you have recently bid through the eBay system.Item number:XXXXXXXXXXXX <- MY EDIT
I have to congratulate for your winning bid.Regretfully, immediately after the listing closed I got an email from Paypal and I must advise you that my account has been compromised immediately and my account is locked.So please reply me asap at jimmajda1978@gmail.com so we can clarify this situation

Thank you!

A quick comparisison of this email address to the sellers email address in the winning bid notification showed they were not the same. I contacted the seller and he verified the above email was not sent by him.
I did not even bother contacting eBay. I did, however, send an email to this fool suggesting he do what Mr. Bush is wanting to do to that Olympic volleyballer in my avatar, only in a much more vulgar manner.

I do not think Ebay is making the correct decision here. It is the end of Ebay as we know it...they are taking every step to prevent us from connecting with other collectors. Soon the ID of the person you sell to won't be visible to the seller or you won't be able to get their actual email even when you sell to them.