View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
To me, not counting modern guys, the passion is gone with most dealers for the cards they don’t collect it’s all about the bottom line.

I’d like to do a survey of how many people who buy and sell cards for a living actually collect. Hell back in the 80’s it was rare that a dealer wouldn’t have a full time job. Now with eBay and other online platforms many dealers buy and sell for a living as their only job.
This is true for any profession. Many people get into a business or profession because they love it. Once they're in it, doing it 40, 50, 60 hours a week, it is now just a job.

Hell, at my advanced age I love to play golf in the summer and play hockey in the winter. I also know folks who have done both professionally. When they were done, they throw their equipment over a cliff (a quote to from a former NY Ranger goalie I'd met).

I still love this hobby, and my collectibles. However, if I depended on it for my livelihood, I don't think I'd love it nearly as much.