View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Like you, I collect for the sheer joy of the hobby. To this day, when I buy a card, it takes me back to the mid-late 70's, when I was a kid and buying packs and seeing if my favorites were in it.
With the advent of the MLB Channel, I can remember them when they play the old games or programs.
I have 2 sons (21 & 11) and 1 daughter (5).
My oldest son, I love him so much, but he is, shall we say, my "problem child" and I would NEVER leave something that represents my childhood as deeply as my collection, to him.
My 11 year old is the exact opposite. He watches the MLB Channel with me and asks questions about the guys playing when I was a kid. About 2 years ago, he switched from "Pokeman" cards, to Sports Cards.
And every since, the hobby has brought us really close. We go to Shows in Kansas City about every other month, which is an hour drive, and just the drive alone is nice to just talk to your pre teen son.
I have also taught him the basics of the hobby, and the basic "rules" of our collection. Do not buy a really valuable card, or a card older then 1950's without being graded by a reputable service. Never buy a card graded as "Authentic". Do not EVER sell a card, we are in this for the hobby and not the money, only trade, and only do that if we have 3 of that particular card.
We really love the 1919 Chicago Black Sox and the whole 1919 World Series, so that means the 1919 Reds as well. One of his favorite movies, and mine, is "Eight Men Out". So we have a special nook in our card room for that.
Anyways, so yes, when I pass, he is taking OUR collection as his own or for him and his son of choice.