View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Jason,

How did you decide which players and which year you wanted for your top 100? For example : The 65 McCovey, why not a 68 McCovey?
That's a tough question, but here's the basic approach--
  1. If I already have a $20+ (don't laugh!) card of the player, that's the one I use. For instance, since I have a '53 Bowman Stan Musial, I definitely don't want to buy a different one.
  2. I always avoid landscape orientation, which sadly rules out '71 Munson. :-(
  3. I avoid multi-player rookie cards (e.g., '65 Morgan)
  4. For the more modern players, I shoot for the RC or the earliest solo card, which is how I chose '66 Morgan.

So that explains Morgan, but the logic above would probably suggest '61T McCovey rather than 1965. However, the cards will be arranged in chronological order, and another fundamental rule for me is to not have my display break in the middle of a year.

For instance, I have a full row of 1957, a full row of 1963-1964, and a full row of 1969 (mostly because I like these three sets the most). This means I either need to have 0 cards in between these years or 10 cards between these years. Based on a handful of other factors I won't dissect here, I went with no cards from 1958-1962 and ten cards from 1965-1968.

From that, I chose the 1965 since it was the earliest McCovey I had room for and also because I liked the purple. Not totally scientific, I admit, and I'll even acknowledge the McCovey as a casualty of my system--it's a good card but not his best. Meanwhile, the system worked on that Morgan...even if I had no rules at all, it's the Morgan I'd choose.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/