View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
is that Mr. Morales plies his trade in an unlicensed profession. In contrast to professions such as law, medicine, actuary, autograph authentication is an unregulated and unlicensed profession. So anybody, regardless of the person's competence or integrity, may practice it. The way to stop unscrupulous authenticators is to have licensing requirements. That will require that prospective practioners demonstrate competence in the area, as well allow the licensing authority to revoke the license of unscrupulous or incompetent licensees. Without that, it is truly the wild west out there, making it quite difficult to obtain criminal convictions.

I might add that it wouldn't be a bad idea for auction houses too to be licensed. Perhaps that might weed out some of the more unscupulous players.
I don't know about other states, but Massachusetts licenses auctioneers. And I have seen them enforce rules from the podium.

Licensing may help, but it isn't much of a solution. I wish I'd taken pics of the work a licensed contractor did on my porch. Worse than a bad Jr High shop project. It's been redone now, by a competent contractor. The other porch was done by me - not licensed, not a contractor. It came out much better than what the first guy did. (And the second guy said it was ok work, not up to his standards, but acceptable)

So much licensing these days is based on classes, usually 8-40 hours and a passably challenging test. And often no real experience required unless there's a union involved(Which is another rant I won't afflict you with..)

Steve B