View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 05:38 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
After 13 long years, I have finally completed The Monster! A little backstory: I had purchased a Mullen portrait in about 1992 for $25 when I was a kid. We have the same last name. Fast forward to 2007 during the poker boom. I was playing poker in various underground games/clubs in and around Pittsburgh. One club had a computer. While fooling around on the computer I came across eBay and T206 cards. Man were those the days! So that night I told myself that every time I had a winning night playing poker I’d buy some T206s and try to complete the set (to go along with my Mullen portrait). An interesting fact is that the entire set (all 521 cards) was purchased with poker or gambling winnings (I’m also pretty decent at picking college football games as well ). The set is also 100% raw in a binder. I’ve cracked roughly 80 slabs.

So were there times that I lost and had to sell some cards? Of course! Haha. But they were surprisingly few and far between. The 2 worst “beats”: I sold a PSA2 green Cobb on here in about 2015 for $900 and a pretty nice raw Lenox back in 2018 for about $600. Other than those 2, no real regrets. My fist card was the Mullen portrait and the last card was Johnson throwing. One last interesting tidbit; I was super reluctant to purchase the last card (Johnson portrait) that I needed. I’ve been holding back for about 3 months. What was I supposed to do once I completed it? Once you complete it, although it’s a great sense of accomplishment, it’s also semi-depressing at the same time. Like, what do I do now!? Anyway, thanks for reading this. Any questions that anyone has I’ll be more than happy to answer! Anybody want to purchase a T206 set?

That’s a great story Brendan! Congrats! That is quite the accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing. At least you put your poker winnings to good use, unlike the the rest of us who have it back the next week haha. I used to play poker at the Borgata some 12-15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk