View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking...They all do seem to come from that one seller. He does state they are reprints...well to be honest he puts an innocuous "RP" in the subject line as opposed to the more offensive "Reprint" or "Repro". Then in the description he clarifies for those that may have overlooked the "RP" initially.

Example: Willie MAYS 1952 PM 10 RP *PIN* w/ Attach 1-3/4" N.Y. Giants Baseball Polo Var#1

What happens to all these reprints he's littering the market with? Is every buyer going to acknowledge they are reproductions when they go to sell? A seasoned pin collector may be able to immediately tell the difference between an original and reproduction...but a less seasoned pro may not be able to. And I doubt this guy has cornered the market on repro pins. Are there others out there who don't declare even an "RP"?
I happen to have that repro and the real deal. Even if the repro were artificially aged, it still wouldn't be "right" due to the size of the image and lettering. I don't know pinzplus's motivation for making these. I don't believe it's nefarious. I think he's just a guy with a button maker, trying to make a few bucks. The majority of his pins are "fantasy" items, using an image from, for example, an old Mays ad for Chesterfield cigarettes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-05-10 01.53.41.jpg (74.7 KB, 561 views)