View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I'd consider this a productive contribution

Can you give an example of a faked pin(s)? I don't think forgery pins are a huge problem in baseball. There IS one guy on ebay (pinzplus) who sells reproductions but he is up front about it. Now, if one of his repros then gets pawned off as authentic to someone else, that's another story...
That's exactly what I was thinking...They all do seem to come from that one seller. He does state they are reprints...well to be honest he puts an innocuous "RP" in the subject line as opposed to the more offensive "Reprint" or "Repro". Then in the description he clarifies for those that may have overlooked the "RP" initially.

Example: Willie MAYS 1952 PM 10 RP *PIN* w/ Attach 1-3/4" N.Y. Giants Baseball Polo Var#1

What happens to all these reprints he's littering the market with? Is every buyer going to acknowledge they are reproductions when they go to sell? A seasoned pin collector may be able to immediately tell the difference between an original and reproduction...but a less seasoned pro may not be able to. And I doubt this guy has cornered the market on repro pins. Are there others out there who don't declare even an "RP"?