View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default Sort of on topic

While we are on the topic - and this hardly even close to being in the category of worst call in history - but I am always angered when crappy home plate umpires completely blow a strike call, and the announcers say nothing about it because they aren't paying attention either.

In the all-star game, Brandon Crawford got rung up on a pitch that was at least a foot outside. Joe Buck: "Crawford strikes out on a pitch on the outside corner", and they all move on - with Crawford staring at the umpire as if to say "are you serious?"

Btw - I really have no love for the giants or for Crawford. I have no problem watching him fail, but it was quite a ridiculous strike call.

It bothers me when I watch Cubs games, and no mention is made that a batter who is battling a pitcher (more specialized generation of pitchers than we've ever seen), and the umpire changes the strike zone for a second to give the pitcher yet another edge. I can't wait for the electronic strike zone, and I thought I'd never say that...

The change in the game in the last 10 years or so has really only benefited the pitchers, and I think an actually defined strike zone would help level the playing field some more, as well as benefit hitters who stand closer to the plate and tend to get outside pitches called on them. Rant over.