Thread: philly show
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemountain View Post
I'll be there Saturday or Sunday.

You guys that have been to the show in the last few years, what time do the dealers start packing up Sunday?
Unfortunately, a bit too early for my taste. I have been to the show two or three times in the past two years. Typically, I only have free time on Sundays and attend then. About two hours before the show "ends," I notice that dealers whose tables I am revisiting after my initial slow crawl through the show are already busily packing up.

I am not a bargain box hunter, either. I recently spent ten minutes at the Philly show "waiting" with the hope that the dealer would give his dutiful assistant the asking price for a SGC 40 T206 Keeler (with bat) that had no price sticker on it. Eventually, I became so frustrated that I told her to let him know that I would take my business elsewhere...and did...I happily spent $200 at someone else's table.

I may be old school in saying this; however, when I set up at a show, I stay set up until the show is over. As for your question, I offer the following advice:

If you're only going on Sunday, get there early and go with a list. When you see something you want at a price you're comfortable with, ask the dealer for a 10% discount. Don't say 10%, though. If it's a $100 card, ask. "wouldya take ninety fer dat?" (Inserting Philly area lingo, which I am sure Terry will understand.)

Hope this helps...and I should be at the show on Sunday. If I am, you will be able to spot me easily. I will be sporting a bald head and clean shaven face (think, Mr. Clean, without the earring,) blue jeans, and the old grey Net54 T-shirt with Ty Cobb.

Best regards and happy collecting.

Eric

Last edited by Eric72; 12-02-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling