View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Default Which collections should have provenance?

Posted By: barrysloate

He was one of the hobby pioneers and is still one of the legendary names today. I believe he helped Jefferson Burdick acquire cards when he was mounting his collection at the Metropolitan Museum.
Which reminds me of something funny I meant to share with the board. I was going through my bookshelf the other day and found the pamphlet "Directory of the J.R. Burdick Collection." I picked it up many years ago in one of my visits to view the collection. There is a full page biography of Burdick in the front and there is one sentence from it that I need to quote verbatim. In talking about how the museum helped Burdick mount the collection, the author writes: We bought him more and more scrapbook binders, more and more pure rag pages, and more and more pots of paste." I wonder how many current collectors display their cards today using pots of paste. Don't you want to just go back in time and yell out: Jefferson, no, don't use the paste, the grading services will hammer your entire collection one day.