View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Denny, one of the big things I think you might be missing from the pop reports is that the Ruth comes with so many different backs split between both the m101-4 and m101-5 sets. Both PSA and SGC split all these backs out separately. If you combined the pop reports of all the various backs I think you'll see the Ruth is not as rare as you think. This is why the Ruth also seems to show up in just about every major auction, sometimes with multiple copies in the same auction. On the other hand, the Wagner comes up about two to three times a year on average and I don't recall ever hearing of an auction with more than one. Add in the history, controversy, and popularity of the Wagner, I think it is easy to see why the Wagner sells for more. In addition, If it was not for the Ruth, the m101-4/5 sets would probably rarely be thought about by most collectors where as the Wagner is from probably the most collected pre-1930's set.

DJ
My best guess, which matches that of several dealers I have discussed the matter with, is there are around 200 of the 1916 M101's. About 60-65 of the T206 Wagners are believed to exist.

Best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-03-2015 at 04:35 PM.