View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Here's a bit more on the orange E94s (although I don't know what to make of the two orange Cobbs', I am still mulling that over) : originally the orange E94s came out of a collection from Brian Daniels. Several years ago Brian swore to me that he had "orange" E94s and I kept writing him and telling him that was impossible. that the E94s only existed in dark green, olive green, red, gold, blue and violet. I told him he must have them confused with the E98 series cards which are blue, red, green and orange. Finally he sent me a scan of an orange Devore and I was floored. I purchased that card from him through a 3rd party and he subsequently sent me a scan showing an E98 orange Cobb, Speaker, and a few others. He had over half of the set in orange. All the cards had been graded by PSA. If I am not mistaken, the PSA 7 Cobb pictured by Pete is the same Cobb. The other one (the 8 confuses me).
Now here is where things get tricky: Daniels didn't have all the players in orange backgrounds. He did not have the Crawford and Devlin for example. The Crawford card (pictured above) is owned by leon and is in an SGC holder. The Devlin I own, and which was a generous gift to me from Alan Sasoon, is also in an SGC holder. Both came from the Lionel Carter collection. This means that they did not come from Daniels. Apparently the one orange sheet which was printed, either accidentally or as a test baloon to see how the color orange looked, could still be the only orange ever printed. This would explain why there is only one orange background card of each E94 player in existence.
I can't explain the Cobb unless it was double printed on the sheet. It could be the same card, cleaned up and resubmiited, but more likely it was a double print on the sheet due to the popularity of Cobb. This would beg the question where are the rest of the oranges which were double printed? I guess we will never know.
P.S. All the oranges Daniels had were, to the best of my fading memory, all PSA 5s or better....

Last edited by tbob; 03-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.