View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default There Is A Thief and a Sucker Born Every Minute and they always find ebay

Posted By: Mark

Brock...

That is disturbing, how ebay pulls the authentic Ripken items. I don't know how he/his people have the power to control what ebay sells, but there is obviously some sort of agreement in place.

Regarding this Jackie Robinson signature (which is trash), it is a different scenario. Often, ebay will terminate an auction in which an autograph looks suspect. I have been "watching" many of these auctions, only to see them disappear (when going into "My Ebay"). Lots of fake Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and even Koufax pieces listed on Ebay get pulled, as they do have some sort of "watch dog" agency in place.

But when a piece like this Robinson cut makes it all the way through, it makes me wonder whether Ebay thought it was ok, or if somebody just missed it. It seems very random, how some of these laughable pieces make it through to the end.

If anyone else on the Board knows of ebay's specific policy or procedure for removing fake autographs.... please advise! Does Ebay employ PSA or Spence (or even Rick Gizmo?) Or do they have an "authentication guru" of their own making these decisions? To me, the whole thing seems very "hit and miss", to coin a baseball cliche.