View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Default Old News- Toleteros Gibson

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Why are the reasons for each collector selling or consigning it relevant? Are you asking if there has been any new information that would affect the legitimacy of the card or issue date as in the case of the Reccius Wagner? Because that is not the case. The year is accurate. It is now and always has been Josh Gibson pictured on the card. No one ever claimed there were 1 or 2 examples known.

I can tell you this much, the guy I sold it to sold it for a bunch more than he paid. The next guy also sold it for more than he paid. I can't speak for Hal, but my guess is that he consigned it to REA because it became a dupe for him once he bought the SGC 88 from Leland's.

It seems some collectors doth protest too much about this card. It's hard for me to understand why someone would bother posting that they're not interested in a card when it's being discussed. I'm not interested in owning E107s, so wouldn't it be a little odd if I posted in threads about E107s and said "These aren't my cup of tea. Others may be interested, but not me. I don't want to collect them."? Yet there are routinely posts that say almost exactly that when there is a thread about this card.

There have been many discussions about this card and people are clearly divided on it. I can see and understand both sides. My whole point is that it would be nice if people formed opinions based on readily available facts, rather than wildly misinformed speculations like when it was first suggested it was actually Gibson's son. For many, that might have caused them to have additional doubts that perhaps remain to this day. Perhaps some of those who don't like the card have it in the back of their mind that maybe, even though it was never even a possibility, maybe it's not even Gibson on the card. Who knows? Same thing with the population jumping from 1 or 2 to 10. That's just not true.

It's not a card for everyone and those who don't like it shouldn't feel obligated to explain why you don't like it. If someone said it was a "must have" for everyone, perhaps it would make more sense to explain why it's not for you.

Did someone last year say that there are only 1 or 2 examples and that it's a "must have" card?

-Ryan