View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

My parents live half the year down in Florida in one of those classic massive condo communities. I've often thought how fun it would be to put an ad in the local paper offering to buy vintage cards from seniors. Set up a handful of appointments every time I go down there. Grandpa kicks the bucket and Grandma takes a shoe box out of the closet and doesn't have the foggiest notion what it's worth. (Or "doesn't know crap" one could say.) I've though about how I would respond if all of a sudden Grandma pulls out a 52 Mantle. What if she's happy with $100. What if she says "you're a nice young man . . just take them." What do you do in that scenario? I'd like to think my response would be " . .wow. . .these are worth a lot of money. . . . . I think you should talk to [fill in the name of reputable auction house]. Let me help you get a lot of money for these . . . ."

Whenever I see those ads in the paper "Looking to Buy Cards" I always immediately translate it to "Looking to Buy Cards From Someone Who Doesn't Know Crap about the value of what they have."

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-10-2017 at 07:39 AM.