Thread: Atlantic City
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
Depends on the signer too, obviously, but as nice a guy as Mo is, he isn't going to stay at a public signing for 6 hours and take photos, he knows he can do a "meet and greet" type even in NY with Steiner and get paid far more for those same photo ops.

Trust me this is no offense to Cal, I love him and he was a phenomenal player but he has been on the show circuit for nearly a decade, he makes multiple appearances at card shows on a monthly basis and is common. Mariano's public appearances are much fewer and further between, and I'd take a guess that since this show is within the vicinity of NYC, the turnout for him will be very high, where as Cal would probably pull in a couple hundred auto tickets, I could easily see a Mariano public at the National selling out.

And, TBH, Mariano is as nice and patient of a guy as there is out there, he takes pictures with fans for free all the time, out in public, for free. It's simply show logistics.
Since his retirement, Mariano has not been a complete stranger to the autograph circuit like a Griffey. I agree that Mariano attends fewer shows than Cal. At the former Tuff-Stuff shows in Richmond, players used to sell out quite frequently. I can't remember that last time a baseball guest sold out at one of the larger shows. At $249 a throw, I would be surprised if Mariano sold out. Adding the "Enter Sandman" inscription adds another $100. He has a nice signature. Mariano was a Yankee and there are a ton of Yankee collectors, so a sell out could happen but at $249, unlikely.