View Single Post
Old 03-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default Childhood memories

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Scott bfought up an interesting topic in another thread, childhood memories of buying cards.

From the earlist I can remember we leave a couple blocks from a small grocery store. Whenever we had a little extra money I would goto tthe store and buy some candy and cards. Me and my brother wanted to get Jerry Koosman cards, our mother went to high scholl with him so that was cool, (As it turned out Having a Koosman rookie card was a good thing to have, can you say Ryan rookie!!!!).
I remember when a neighbor got hit by a garbage truck we brought him baseball cards to feel better. The first time I ever bought a box of cards it was hockey ( I collected all 4 sports to try to make sets)I think it cost about $6. i had to open it in the basement and throw the wrapper into a window well under the addition.

The biggest thing missing from the nice cards is the smell . i can still smell the bubble gum from opening a pack of Topps cards, it didn't matter that the gum wasn't that good. When I ran a card store from 88 to 92 I once opened a pack of 78 Topps and ate the gum, it tasted like cardboard and disintegraded in my mouth, but I lived to tell the story.

I mentioned earlier that I tried to collect sets, duplicates sucked no matter who they were, I would easily trade stars away for one card I needed. Kind of an innocent age of collecting.

Just some memories,

Lee