View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default nearmint

1st....your "virtual uncut sheets" of the 1948 Bowman FB set is exact. In the early 1980's, I had the three uncut sheets
and I wrote this SCD article regarding this set.

[linked image]

[linked image]

2nd....Back then, SCD also featured an article I wrote on the 1952 Bowman LARGE FB set. When I find it, I'll post it here.
In the early 1980's I did a REAL survey of these LARGE cards (sampling approx. 1200 cards). If I recall correctly, the ratio
of the .... DIVISIBLE by 9 .... cards to the .... DIVISIBLE by 9 + 1 .... is 1 / 5.

Furthermore, the ratio of .... DIVISIBLE by 9 + 1 .... to all the other 112 cards in this set is 1 / 2.5

What this survey tells us is that Bowman RANDOMLY shifted their 36-card sheets in order to print all the cards. However,
they did NOT do it in an orderly fashion in order to equalize the number of cards printed. The printing of these cards was
done by shift workers, and there was no attempt to coordinate the process.

One final note..my understanding of Bowman's printing process (done by Zabel Brothers, Philadelphia) was that the width
of the cardboard accomodated two adjacent 36-card sheets. If this is confusing, I will provide a diagram in a forthcoming
post here.

I hope I have answered your questions ?

But, if it not, then I'll try again.

Regards,

TED Z