View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default Quality versus Quantity

Posted By: B O\\\'Brien

I have asked myself the same question a few times over the past year or so. I switched from a well rounded post war collection that I started when I was 10, in 1986. Since I have been married, I would buy stuff, sell enough to break even and keep the rest/good stuff for me. As long as it didn't effect the household money and loans were repaid before the CC payment was due, the wife was OK with it and I was happy.

Last year I bought a T206 Lenox Johnson and decided that he needed friends, very specific friends. I have since trimmed my collection of 500 or so cards and junk sets to 40 cards (20 T206's and 20 of my childhood favs) in an effort to buy Mr. Johnson some nice friends. It does make me a little sad when it doesn't take me nearly as long to look at my cards as it used too.

Since I don't really put new money into cards, I am getting a little sad about not being able to buy lots from funds generated from other sales and add to my collection, because all the cash goes to the HOFers with different backs. I also can't make myself sell my big lot, due to my OCD and it not being "complete".

I have decided to play smallball with the lot for a little while. I need a Young and Johnson port, but decided to buy a couple handfulls of low end HOFers instead of those two cards, and round out some series backs instead of agressively rounding up a Carolina Brights.

This is my conflict. Complete the HOF backs line to the best of my ability (30ish cards) or have piles of T beaters or stacks of nice post war.

Excellent question that I also fight with on a regular basis.

Take care,

Bob