View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Years ago, an accident changed my life. Most of the injuries would eventually fully heal, but my hearing loss is permanent. The recovery process was brutal, moreso emotionally than physically.

As I was trying to pick up the pieces, my boyfriend (now my husband) gave me a baseball card. It was basically worthless, a beat up 1951 Bowman Lou Brissie. He told me of Lou's story....

Lou was a decent pitching prospect, threw for none other than Connie Mack around 1940 or so, but the world had other plans at that time. Like many young men, Lou did his duty and shipped off to fight a war for his country. One day in Italy, things got pretty bad. Most of Lou's platoon was killed or wounded, and Lou was no exception. An exploding artillery shell shredded one of his legs.

At the army hospital, doctors insisted that Lou's leg would have to be amputated. He flat-out refused to let them take it, saying "I'm a ballplayer.". He intended to keep his leg even if it cost him his life.

Lou spent a lot of time recovering and he never gave up on his dream. He was fit with a leg brace and made the best of it. One day he found himself once again in front of Connie Mack, trying out for a spot in the roster.

Lou had a pedestrian career, nothing special. He pitched wearing a customized brace on his leg for maybe 6 years (I forget). His card isn't worth squat. But that card, Lou's card, gave me inspiration. Every time I wanted to give up, cry, whine, feel sorry for myself, Lou's card reminded me that life goes on and great things are still possible.

A beat up, worn out 1951 Bowman Lou Brissie card saved me. I'd guess I couldn't sell it for $5, and I promise I wouldn't sell it for $5000. My copy is so crappy the writing on the back is barely readable, so I pulled a pic off the internet to post here.

Lou, you're my hero. Rest In Peace.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Just.Rachel; 07-30-2019 at 09:54 AM.