View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Default If you found vintage cards at a garage sale

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Does he live in the Berkeley Hills, or the flatlands? Is he rich or poor? Would I rob a poor man of $5000 worth of cards so I could get them for $10? No, I wouldn't.

Once some people offered me, free, a large box of '69 and '70 Topps. They didn't even want to talk about money. I took them (we had never met, but had worked closely together for several years--whether that makes sense or not). Later, I found out that the cards had belonged to their son who had committed suicide so he didn't have to go to Vietnam(sic). I started sending their daughter, who was working with a tribe of Indians in the west, small regular checks...

During the baseball strike, many people burned their cards, or sold them for $1...I stopped by a garage sale in the Berkeley Hills (rich people), and the folks there told me their son had just sold his entire baseball card collection for $1. I was sorry I missed that one...

It depends on the time, the place, the circumstances and the people involved; how can you answer the question with a simple yes or no?

Bye, cards...