Thread: March Pick-Ups
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 PM

Default Hunt Tobacco P/U's

Photobucket
New additions -Two Home Run Cigarette packs on left

Photobucket
Rah Rah Tobacco pouch

Received these today out of the Hunt Internet auction last month...Two different lots...the two Home Run Cigarette packs on the left in top photo...and the Rah Rah Tobacco pouch. Hunt auctioned a 30 year tobacco collection put together by Thomas Caruso....It was the best all at once offering of tobacco pieces I can recall..The cards and card related pieces seemed to be the hotest items..I sure would like to know the who what where of how he got my two pieces...where they came from etc.

http://www.sportsantiques.com/homeruncigspost.htm
I did a story back in May 2009 on the poster that advertised Home Run Cigarettes, link above..in it I examine the packs in relation to the poster. By writing the story I learned the early pack are very rare...Jon Canfield of http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/ informed me he'd only seen one early pack for sale...So when I spotted the two in one lot I zeroed in...

I don't bid in a lot of brick and mortars...that buyers premium is murder...phew..finally whoever was bidding it up folded and I got um...When I received them today I was very satisfied with their condition and how they look in my display case...

I had the one on the right already so the three make for a nice display I think..The center one is the oldest I'm sure....it even has two original cigarettes inside that say Home Run on them...and the other pack though latter is very rare as well...I guess I got a good deal, especially considering I got two packs...And the Rah Rah pouch is no slouch...I think it's only the second I've seen..

Many years back bought a January 8, 1891 The Daily Picayune newspaper from New Orleans that had an advertisement for Home Run Cigs...So I know the brand is at least that old...and the center pack looks like it could be that old...Below some in lineup shots

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 03-05-2012 at 11:59 PM.