Thread: July Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Unique ticket possibly attributed to Charlie Robertson's perfect game

I just picked up a very interesting Special Box Holder Detroit Tigers baseball ticket from 1922.

On April 30th, 1922 unlikely rookie CWS pitcher Charlie Robertson bested the Ty Cobb led Detroit Tigers by pitching a perfect game, winning by a score of 2-0. 1922 would prove to be the 3rd, and final time, that HOF'er Cobb would hit .400 in a season (.401 in 1922). Cobb was surrounded by many other teammates that hit over .300, as the 1922 Tigers squad boasted an overall .288 team batting average.

This ticket was issued to Charles T. Fisher, who was an early automotive pioneer and one of the most famous of Detroit families (essentially Detroit royalty).
Here is a quick bio on Charles T. Fisher:

Charles Thomas Fisher was born in 1880 in Norwalk, Ohio. Around the turn of the century, Fisher moved to Detroit and began work at a carriage body manufacturer. In 1908, Fisher, along with his brother Fred and uncle Albert, founded the Fisher Body Company, making bodies for the emerging automobile industry. Charles and Fred soon brought their five younger brothers (including Alfred, Edward and William) into the business. The firm quickly prospered, producing bodies for many different manufacturers, including Cadillac, Ford, and Studebaker. By 1914 they were making 370,000 car bodies a year.

In 1919, Ford, General Motors, and Studebaker competed to buy Fisher Body. GM won out, purchasing 60% of the business to for 27 million dollars. In 1922, Fisher built a home at 670 W. Boston, where he lived until his death in 1963. In 1926, the Fishers sold their remaining shares for 208 million dollars, making Fisher Body wholly owned by GM. Charles became a vice-president of GM, leaving in 1934. The next year, the Fisher brothers began building the magnificent Fisher Building, one of the best examples of Art Deco architecture in the country, on Grand Boulevard a mile south of Boston-Edison.

Here is a picture of this ticket which I am very happy to add to my no-hit ticket collection. Early vintage and cool....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-08-2014 at 05:13 AM.