View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Completing sets is a shared goal of many of us. 25 years ago I began to reacquire a 1956 topps set that had been one of my favorites as a kid. Mission accomplished (Ex-Mint) without too much difficulty. I still have it.
A closet full of cards followed, some nice but 99% without lasting value.

Then 6 years ago I purchased my first T206 (a Matty) as a birthday present to myself. Never dreamed of completing the set, but continued to acquire cards in the VG range, some better, some worse. Paid too much for a few cards, but in recent years have done that less frequently. 100, 200, 300, 400 - all milestones that only seemed achievable only when I got close.

Forced retirement then reduced my budget, but not my desire to keep plugging away. At about 490 I figured that I was done. Near the top of the mountain but the remaining cliff was steep.

Then a trade appeared on the horizon. I had duplicates and other cards of value that people actually wanted more than I. I am now at 511 without putting very much more cash in the set since 490. 512 is on the horizon.
I realize that for me 520 could still be years away.

I've learned to appreciate the beaters as well as the VGs and the Exs, but more importantly I've learned that trading is actually a lot more fun than simply buying. Fortunately this web site is populated by a lot of good people. On B/S/T we are all general managers of our teams. An ideal trade is a win-win for both parties. I hope that my trading partners feel likewise. I consider you all virtual friends that I hope to meet in person some day.

Type collecting is a secondary focus of mine as well, another "set" that is never really complete.

Happy to see Craig's reference to the Monster Number in his post.
I hope that when it becomes included in dictionaries, its origin is correctly referenced.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.