View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think when and what to sell is something most of us will wrestle with at some point.

From what you've written, I think it's a tough decision. The house and college fund are probably better investments, if only for the added enjoyment and the lifetime of better income.

But I also don't think it's an all or nothing sort of thing.

Sell the extras for sure, as well as some stuff that doesn't fit the collection. Like maybe the 1970 set. You don't really need the extras, and the set can be replaced pretty easily.

The easily replaced golf could be stage 2, the inexpensive and easy to get will be that way for a while.

Personally I'd keep the very rare ones or the ones you mentioned not finding again in that condition. Plus the ones that are more special to you in some way. That's the real core of the collection as I see it.

Your sons age might matter too. If he's older, maybe high school, perhaps let him be part of the decision. Does he golf or collect himself? Show any interest? If he does, then letting him help would probably be good for both of you. You might find he likes/knows the cards more than you thought. And going through them explaining what's special and what's just stuff would give him a bigger appreciation for the nice ones. (Plus the business style decision of going for a quick sale or waiting to get more and which venue would be best.)

A complicated thing, and one I'm starting to deal with. A second kid is on her way, and some of the hobby stuff will have to go. To make room, if nothing else.

Steve B