View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Default MLB HOF RC ... Is it possible?

Posted By: Dan Paradis

I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this collection. Early on I realized to get a true MLB RC collection would not be likely. Mostly because of the high prices the e107's were getting.

However, I've actually been thinking that it is possible now. e107's have come way down, even Bottomley's Maple Crispette has come way down.

If you define a players RC as the 1st card for the player (not including team cards), is completing this collection possible (for me pre-war cards are usually low grade, I look for a nice image on the front and not to worried about the back)?

NOTE: I don't want to turn this thread into "what defines a players true RC"!!! Let's assume for this discussion it is their 1st card as an MLB player.
Also, I am not including managers, negro league players and pioneer's in my collection, just MLB players!

What players cards would make this impossible (or not likely)??

I can think of one off the top of my head. Cy Young's 1893 Just So Tobacco. Isn't there just one of these cards known to exist?

What about the Sporting Life Cabinets? I hardly ever see these for sale. i.e. I thought I had Ty Cobb's RC until I saw on VCP that there is a Sporting Life Cabinet card for him. There were no sales documented.

I've only been at this for a couple of years, so I'm interested in the experts opinions/advice.

Dan