View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Nick J@yj@ck

What's interesting to me is that even Mantle himself couldn't answer the question posed by the O.P. (Costas mentions that in the eulogy at the link in post #22). I think the reason for the difficulty in finding an answer, at least in part, is that everyone is looking just at Mantle. But, I think it's not just about Mantle and all of his abilities and accomplishments as great as they were. It's that and way more. For all of the various reasons mentioned in this thread, America (and New York, especially, for obvious reasons) in the '50's and '60's, projected themselves onto him. He was one of them, in a way. They made him their hero and rallied around him. They chose him. He became the glue that bound them together as a community. And he's the shared memory of the '50's and '60's for many. There's absolutely value in that. Those who lived it will pay to buy into that "community" and memory again. Those who didn't but have families members who did, will also pay into that "community." Those who have heard the stories will do the same. And up the price goes. It's all good in that sense. Kind of reminds me of the movie "Field of Dreams" a bit. Same thing. Just my opinion, of course.